State Fire AcademyWest Virginia had been a state for only 50 years when West Virginia University established the Mining Extension Service in 1913. Fire service training was originally part of Mining Extension Service, which was located on Beechhurst Avenue in Morgantown.
The State Fire Training Center on Monongahela Boulevard in Morgantown was dedicated in 1957. The facility was a fire station for the City of Morgantown Fire Department, which housed an engine company. Fire Service Extension shared this facility until 1974 when the engine company was relocated to another fire station in the city.
Ground was broken in July 2006 for the new West Virginia State Fire Academy at Jackson’s Mill, West Virginia. The State Fire Academy is located at the south end of the airfield on property owned by West Virginia University and part of the WVU Jackson’s Mill State 4-H Camp. Construction began in October 2006 and the facility was completed in June 2008. The facility was dedicated on June 24, 2008 as part of the Second Annual Junior Fire Fighter Camp.
Offices and classrooms (15,665 sq. ft.) comprise:
- 4 administrative offices
- 6 cubicle offices
- 2 classrooms (24 seats each)
- 30-seat distance learning room
- Conference room/library
- Lounge/dining area
Training arena (8,000 sq. ft.) includes:
- 100’ x 80’ x 50’
- Large doors to allow fire apparatus and other vehicles into the facility
The multi-use facility is ideal for community group meetings and other events.